navbar

Mapped @ Image Mapper

4/6/11

Chevron Painted Drop Cloth Drapes - Tutorial

I finally got around to painting my drop cloth drapes. It was a long process, but hopefully it was worth it. Here is what they looked like before:


And the after:


(you might notice the new lamp too!)

I plan on getting a longer curtain rod so the drapes aren't so scrunched at the top which will allow you to see more of the pattern.

Here is what you need for this project:

- 2 drop cloths ($9.98 from HD)
- Foam Brush
- Matte fabric paint in any color ($4.00 from Michaels)
- Tape (painters or masking)

Step 1:

Draw out on paper the measurements of your drapes. I originally planned to make about 7 stripes, but quickly realized that would have taken FOREVER so I decided on 4, 6 inch stripes. 

Step 2: 

Tape off your design.


Step 3: 

Use your foam brush and paint to paint INSIDE your tape lines. The tape doesn't stick well at all to the drop cloth so instead of painting all the way to the tape, I did this.


I used my foam brush to make a "straight" line inside the tape and then painted inside.

After you paint your stripes, you'll be left with this...


I sewed the top of mine in order to hang it on my curtain rod..


Ta daaaa!

FYI: The stripes look "full" in pictures and from far away. However, when the sun shines through you can see a few spots that didn't get quite as much paint as others. I recommend really slapping on the paint so you aren't left with little spots. If I work up the energy I might go back and repaint some of the more translucent areas.




Good Life Wednesdays

7 comments:

  1. These are lovely! Great job!!! I've been wanting to do drop cloth curtains for my master bedroom... but now I'm thinking that these are the way to go. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I am with you on the paint. I am in the middle of painting stripes on my Ikea panels & painted 2 coats & put up. Still not enough paint...argh. I really like your chevron!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you use a template for the stripes? They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blondini,

    Thank you! I did not use a template. I just did a lot of measuring to find the design that I thought would look best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was hoping to find where you blogged about these and I found it:) I love how they turned out! And they look much better than the sheers you had previously tried.
    I know the window woes too. Our 1860 home has 22 windows on the first floor alone so for most of our years here(9) many have gone undressed. Im just now starting to figure out what I want and chip away at dressing the windows little by little. Its gets very expensive when you have that many!
    Anyhoo, great job on the curtains:)

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you:)