navbar

Mapped @ Image Mapper

6/13/11

Outdoor Sectional - Check!

You may recall this not so finished outdoor sectional I shared a little bit ago...


Well, to give it a more cohesive look on the cheap, I decided to wrap it in left over 2 X 4's. 

Materials needed:

- Wooden pallets (cut in half)
- Outdoor cushions (make sure they are the right size for your pallet; we used 22X76 inch)
- Heavy duty velcro
- Any size wood you like
- Deck Screws
- Drill
- Miter/table saw (necessary if you want to create a beveled edge on the corners, otherwise you could probably get away with a circular saw if you just want to make straight cuts).
- Measuring tape
- Pencil

***Before you start cutting your wood, take a good look at your pallets and make sure they are all evenly lined up***

I didn't take my advice and because I cut the pallets in half myself, they were no where near "perfect" and some edges stuck out further than others which made it impossible to put the wood on evenly. I had to go around with a hand saw and cut off some of the edges. If I would have cut them in half more carefully, I wouldn't have had to mess with this step.

Step 1:

Cut wooden pallets in half and decide on a formation for you bench/sectional/etc.

Step 2:

Decided on a pattern for your wood pieces & cut. We had to do a sort of mosaic because we were using left over pieces of wood that were all different lengths already.

We opted to cut our pieces at a 45 degree angle for the corners to give it a more polished look.

Step 3:

Pre drill holes.

*I used a pieces of thin lattice wood here and there to help level out the surface I was drilling/screwing in to, because the pallets I was using were not all perfect/the same.

Step 4: 

Use deck screws to secure wood to pallets.

Step 5:

Stain wood. We have yet to do this yet, but I have chosen a dark espresso color and will probably finish it off in the fall when we do our deck so we can knock them out at the same time!

Step 6:

Attach pieces of heavy duty velcro to both the bottom of the cushion and the top of the pallet to hold them in place. I like the velcro more than ties 1. because you don't see them and 2. they are easy to rip off when you have to run outside and rip them off when it is raining!

That's it! Pretty easy project if you have the right tools. It was a little more time consuming for me, simply because I had to come up with a pattern for the wood using a bunch of random pieces. You could easily just use 2X4's that cover each length which would give you minimal cuts and a cohesive look.

This is what we've got...




We got to enjoy this yesterday when we hosted a going away party for my cousin who is leaving for China for 3 months. It worked out great and got a lot of use!







ten june

19 comments:

  1. It looks great finished! Love the idea of using pallets. The cushions look fantastic. :)

    Visiting from Centsational Girl's Picnic & BBQ party. Hope you'll stop by my blog to say hi too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from Centsational Girls Linky Party today. What a great idea. Love it! Your project turned out awesome. Hope you'll stop on over to my blog too! Thanks for sharing your great project!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so fun!! I keep wanting to do a pallet project and just haven't done it yet! Yours is great!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks awesome! what a great place to hang out with friends around the fire, toast marshmallows, and share some drinks and make some memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this!! What a creative idea and it looks awesome! I know you will enjoy this area sooo much now

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is AMAZING!!!! absolutely creative and fabulous. I am having a Patio Porch and Deck party next Wednesday, June 22- I'd love to have you share this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a brilliant idea!! :) Thanks for the tip!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it!! and of course the firepit in the middle!!
    Have a great weekend! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sectional looks great!!! That is amazing! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just discovered your blog and I love it! I would love for you to stop by my lil corner of blogland when you get time and follow if you so desire! Im totally loving the sectional so creative! Im off to look at older post have a great rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! I'm so glad you shared this at my party! I still love this idea- just brilliant. The tutorial is great too, very informative. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing ideal. looks great. I found your blog through Pinterest and I'm now following.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can you tell me the size of the wooden pallets used. Also, where you able to use both halves of the cut pallets?

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a nice idea! With a closer look you can see that the furniture used outdoors were creatively chosen. Lets us just hope that the benches will be able to hold on the weight. Overall, this is a great thing to do in order to add uniqueness with your outdoor area.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I stumbled on your DIY outdoor sectional awhile ago and loved it! I went to go check back today and the photos aren't showing, please fix it, I really want to make an outdoor sectional like yours! Thanks

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you:)