navbar

Mapped @ Image Mapper

1/10/11

My Adventures of Painting Trim

I think it is safe to say that I will NEVER buy or move into a house until all of the trim and doors are white, EVER! 

I feel like I did my research and am fairly competent when it comes to painting. But this, nobody should have to go through. 

Over the past few months I have been painting our oak trim white. I am now working on our main living area upstairs. I have already finished the entryway, dining room, hallway, and guest bedroom (basement is newly renovated and we put in white trim). The living room has given me the most problems, for no apparent reason. It is the same type of trim in every other part of the house. What I have learned is that painting tape is completely worthless. I will never use it again. It is not worth the hassle to put it on and the heartache when pulling it off. Today, I was excited to pull off the tape and have newly painted trim, but I was in for a surprise. The paint peeled right off with the tape and left me with a complete mess. Thank goodness I took the day off work (6 inches of snow here!) and spent all day touching up. It still needs some work, but I had to take a break. 

Here is my advice for those tough enough to tackle this project:

- Don't skimp on the primer (it will allow you do to less coats)
- If you can, paint the trim before you paint the walls
- If you can't, don't use painters tape, rely on your steady hands to do the work

If I do ever need to use painters tape again, I think I will spend the money to buy the good stuff and see if it makes a difference. Don't get me wrong, I won't be trying that one out for a while!


Here are some of my inspiration picks that 
have beautiful white trim:


Decorpad
Meridith Baer & Associates

Decorpad



No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to hear from you:)